‘WE MUST BECOME ASCETIC — TO SAVE OUR WORLD,’ by Robert J. Donovan, March 7, 1974

"Twenty or thirty years ago, most corporate leaders figured the game would continue unchanged — forever. They had no idea of profound change. Today I think a good many industrialists think there is going to be a profound change — not one brought on by Bolsheviks but by circumstances — by resource shortages and population problems, among other things. They see there is something real out there that is changing, and that they are going to have to deal with it. They are aware that the system is changing."

THE VULGARIANS, by Robert Osborn, January 1, 1960

"Moisturize your lips and we will examine the present corruption of our greatness. And see to what ends our natural riches and our freedoms have been put. This exploratory operation will be undocumented yet in its process we will see what over-weaning desire for money and comfort is doing to America ... and understand, perhaps, why beats the heart so slowly and whence comes the silver slick of cancer on the soul."

LOS ANGELES BREWING CO. EASTSIDE BEER / MAIER BREWING CO. BREW 102 — Advertisements in The Los Angeles Times: 1900 – 1979

"The Maier Brewing Company started as the Ed. Preuss & Company Philadelphia Brewery in 1874. The following year, it became the D. Mahlstedt Company Philadelphia Brewery, and then the Maier & Zobelein Brewery, located in Los Angeles, in 1882. When Maier and Zobelein dissolved their partnership in 1907, the brewery became the Maier Brewing Company, located at 500 East Commercial Street, Los Angeles. Existing for several decades, the Maier Brewing Company was purchased by the General Brewing Company in 1971, but was later closed in 1974. Eastside Beer was bottled by Los Angeles Brewing Company, owned by George Zobelein, a former partner of Maier and Zobelein Brewery. After the two split in 1907, Zobelein named his new beer 'Eastside' since Los Angeles Brewing Company was located east of the Los Angeles River at 600 Moulton Avenue, and the 1920-2026 block of Main Street. The bottling facility was eventually sold and became the Pabst Brewery."