"The sign was erected in 1923 and originally read 'HOLLYWOODLAND'. Its purpose was to advertise the name of a new segregated housing development in the hills above the Hollywood district of Los Angeles. Real estate developers Woodruff and Shoults called their development 'Hollywoodland' and advertised it as a 'superb environment without excessive cost on the Hollywood side of the hills.' They contracted the Crescent Sign Company to erect thirteen south-facing letters on the hillside. The sign company owner, Thomas Fisk Goff (1890–1984), designed the sign. Each letter was 30 ft (9.1 m) wide and 50 ft (15.2 m) high, and the whole sign was studded with around 4,000 light bulbs. The sign flashed in segments: 'HOLLY,' 'WOOD,' and 'LAND' lit up individually, and then as a whole. Below the Hollywoodland sign was a searchlight to attract more attention. The poles that supported the sign were hauled to the site by mules."